23 Feb RECIPE: ČVARKUŠE (CRACKLING BISCUITS)
These delicious biscuits, also known as krampogačice, used to be prepared by our grandmothers. Today, you can make them yourselves.
Easy-peasy. Well, apart from the fact that you have to let your dough rise several times.
Don’t worry, the result will make you happy. It will certainly make your family members happy.
- 250 g Dr.PIGLEY cracklings
- 2.5 dl milk, warmed
- 20 g fresh yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 500 g all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Dr.PIGLEY lard
- 1 egg + egg yolk for coating the biscuits
- 1 tablespoon salt
- pepper, salt
- In a bowl, crush the fresh yeast and mix it together with the warm milk, some sugar and flour, and leave it for about 10 minutes to activate (it needs to foam).
- Mix the yeast mixture with the egg, lard, and the rest of the flour to make a dough. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and leave the dough to rest for 10 minutes in a warm place. Then knead it lightly and let it rest for another half an hour until it rises again.
- In the meantime, use a food processor to grind Dr.PIGLEY cracklings. Add salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Roll out the dough into a thin layer (approx. 1 cm thick) and spread one-third of the crackling mixture on it. Then fold the dough in half along the center line, and repeat the step two more times, using the remaining two-thirds of the crackling mixture.
- Roll out the dough until it is 1.5 cm thick.
- Cut out the biscuits (make them square or round) and place them on a lined baking tray.
- Brush the top with the egg yolk and sprinkle over with some salt (to taste). Bake in a pre-heated oven at 180°C until golden brown (approx. 20–30 minutes).